ABOUT THE UNIT
This unit is a core unit for the Certificate II in Information and Cultural Services and the Certificate III in Library and Information Services. The unit provides an overview of the library and information services industry, enabling you to expand your knowledge and skills to interpret a wide range of information source.
The unit will provide a broad understanding of the industry (not limited to your own workplace), and you will have the opportunity to explore different types of libraries and career options in the industry. The unit will enhance your work outcomes by enabling you to:
- Gain an understanding of the Library/Information Services environment, and source industry information from relevant organisations.
- Identify the various types of libraries and their functions and operations
- Gain an understanding of the various roles in libraries, and gain information on industry employment
- Apply your industry knowledge into your workplace
- Understand the relevant legislation that applies in Information Services
- Maintain your industry currency and knowledge
- Identify key issues and trends in the library and information services sector
- Utilise and share information with others to enhance industry currency and knowledge retention
HOW THIS UNIT RELATES TO YOUR LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SERVICES CAREER
This unit is all about laying the groundwork for working in Library and Information Services and understanding the context in which you work. This unit will give you an overall snapshot of the various types of libraries and information about possible career options in the library and information services sector. It is a crucial foundation unit to provide the relevant work context.
TRANSFERABILITY OF SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
The skills and knowledge gained from this unit are applicable to any library and information services workplace context. It is about providing generalist industry knowledge.
For further information on this unit visit training.gov.au