ABOUT THE UNIT
This unit is a core unit for the Diploma of Library and Information Services. The unit provides the skills and knowledge to develop strategies to manage organisational systems that ensure products and services are delivered and maintained to standards agreed by the organisation, and acceptable to customers. The unit will cover the following areas:
- Identify what quality customer service is and looks like.
- Understand the difference between internal and external customers
- Understand customer behaviour, and identify customer value
- Investigate, identify, assess and deliver customer needs
- Organisational policies and procedures, and customer service vision and mission statements
- Understanding relevant legislation, standards and codes of practice, including OHS legislation
- Balancing customer service with business requirements
- Customer service skills and attributes
- Communication skills required to deliver quality customer service
- Handling and resolving customer complaints and misunderstandings
- Monitoring customer service and managing team performance
- Reviewing and improving customer service, including the use of techniques such as value chain analyses, and gathering feedback
- Develop, procure and utilise resources appropriately
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) technology
HOW THIS UNIT RELATES TO YOUR LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SERVICES CAREER
Many managers are involved in ensuring that products and services are delivered and maintained to standards agreed by the organisation and acceptable to their customers. People working in all Libraries and Information Services contexts work with customers. Customer contact is a key aspect of many job roles and people in these roles are responsible for understanding, clarifying and meeting customer needs and expectations, as well as creating a positive impression of the business or service they represent.
TRANSFERABILITY OF SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
The skills and knowledge gained from this unit are applicable to any workplace context, whether in the Library and Information Services sector or not. They are also applicable to all library types. A crucial skill for any workplace context.
For further information on this unit visit training.gov.au