This course assists in the launch or acceleration of your library career by consolidating your practical library experience with formal qualifications. Designed to qualify you as a Library Assistant with potential leadership capability, work at this level will give you a deeper understanding of key library functions, and will enable you to function at a higher level, whilst getting practical experience.
This qualification will give you the skills and knowledge to perform a range of tasks in increasingly complex environments and situations, including:
- assisting customers with increasingly complex inquiries
- analysing and evaluating information from a variety of sources
- expanding knowledge of cataloguing processes
- improving research skills
- obtaining items not held in your library through inter-library loans and document supply services
- planning and delivering library-related activities, events and public programs
- understanding and promoting copyright adherence in a library context
- providing leadership and guidance to others with some limited responsibility for the output of others.
Building on solid foundations and accelerating your Library and Information Services career!
The Certificate IV qualification is composed of 15 units (6 core units, and 9 elective units)
Elective Units *
* Please note that units may change from time-to-time, depending on industry feedback and consultation. Students will be advised should this occur.
- 15 months full time (one unit per month)
- 23 months part time (at one unit every six weeks)
All units are delivered via distance education.
Prospective students are required to:
- be enrolled in or have completed Year 10 or equivalent
- be either working in a library or volunteering in a library for a minimum of 8 hours each week
- possess computer skills and have access to a computer and the internet at work or home
- complete practical tasks in a library workplace and have access to a workplace supervisor who can sign off on any practical tasks
Students are required to:
- commit to studying at least 8 hours per week
- commit to achieving regular positive study outcomes and progression through their course
- commit to submitting their best quality work
- commit to communicating with LTSA so that we can help support you through your course
- Customer Services Officer
- Curatorial Assistant
- Digital Services Officer
- Information Services Assistant
- Installation Assistant
- Interlibrary Loans Assistant
- Document Supply Assistant
- Library Assistant/Officer
- Library Aide (school libraries)
- Shelving Assistant
- Circulation/Lending Services Assistant
The standard investment involved for studying a Certificate IV in Library and Information Services is $6,150 (which includes a non-refundable Administration Fee of $150)**.
LTSA strives to make vocational education as accessible and flexible as possible. Thus, we have a number of methods for payment:
- Employer/Third Party Funded: Pay up-front or in 4 x quarterly instalments.
- Self Funded: Pay in 15 instalments on a payment plan. Your first instalment will be $550, which includes the $150 administration fee. Your remaining 14 instalments are then $400 each. If you study full-time, you’ll be invoiced monthly; if you study part-time, you’ll be invoiced every six weeks. Please note that your payment plan is set up at enrolment and the payment schedule is not impacted by changes to your study plan (except in the case of deferments).
Please note that LTSA is here to support its students, and should any hardship occur, we are always happy to discuss flexible payment options for students.
**Government funding may be available to eligible candidates. For more information, please review our Funding page.
Please contact us with any questions.