This qualification provides a great starting point for anyone looking to start, or develop a career in Library and Information Services (LIS). It is also a great starting point for someone who already has some library experience and wants to gain a formal qualification. The BSB31215 Certificate III in Library and Information Services is ideal for school-based students, job seekers, workers new to the LIS sector, new workers signed up under a traineeship or those with limited experience who already work in a LIS role.
This qualification will give you the skills and knowledge required to perform a broad range of tasks in a variety of environments, including:
- assisting customers with inquiries
- providing best-practice customer services to library clients
- assisting with loans and returns of library resources using automated systems
- keeping the library collection in correct order and repair
- shelving items
- working effectively as part of a team
- assisting with multimedia equipment and services
- assisting in library displays and events
- using basic computer software.
Getting the core functions right – a great platform on which to thrive!
The Certificate III qualification is composed of 12 units (6 core units, and 6 elective units)
Elective Units *
* Please note that units may change from time-to-time, depending on industry feedback and consultation. Students will be advised should this occur.
- 12 months full time (one unit per month)
- 18 months part time (at one unit every six weeks)
All units are delivered via distance education.
Prospective students are required to:
- Be enrolled in or have completed Year 10 or equivalent
- Be either working in a library or volunteering in a library for a minimum of 8 hours each week
- Possess computer skills and have access to a computer and the internet at work or home
- Complete practical tasks in a library workplace and have access to a workplace supervisor who can sign off on any practical tasks
Students are required to:
- commit to studying at least 7 hours per week
- commit to achieving regular positive study outcomes and progression through their course
- commit to submitting their best quality work
- commit to communicating with LTSA so that we can help support you through your course.
- Customer Service Officer
- Shelving Assistant
- Library Assistant / Officer
- Library Aide (school libraries)
- Circulation / Lending Services Assistant
The standard investment involved for studying a Certificate III in Library and Information Services is $4,950** (which includes a non-refundable Administration Fee of $150).
LTSA strives to make vocational education as accessible and flexible as possible. Thus, we have a number of methods for payment:
- Employer/Third Party Funded: Pay up-front or in 4 x quarterly instalments.
- Self Funded: Pay in 12 instalments on a payment plan. Your first instalment will be $550, which includes the $150 administration fee. Your remaining 11 instalments are then $400 each. If you study full-time, you’ll be invoiced monthly; if you study part-time, you’ll be invoiced every six weeks. Please note that your payment plan is set up at enrolment and the payment schedule is not impacted by changes to your study plan (except in the case of deferments).
**Note: Government funding for the Certificate III may be available to eligible Queensland-based students. For more information, please review our Funding page.
Please note that LTSA is here to support its students, and should any hardship occur, we are always happy to discuss flexible payment options for students.
Please contact us with any questions, or press ‘Apply Now’ to write your next chapter!